Stunningly large coral spotted in the Great Barrier Reef


Scientists swim over the top of the coral.

Scientists swim over the top of the coral.
picture: Woody Spark

Divers swimming in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef have found coral reefs of epic proportions. consist Of the organisms, the megamass is the widest coral found in the region And one of the oldest.

Discovered last March, the coral is 17.4 feet (5.3 meters) long and 34.1 feet (10.4 meters) wide. This makes it the widest single coral structure The sixth is the longest In Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, according to the new Research Published in Scientific Reports. The coral reef is approximately 8 feet high Bigger than the previous record holder in the Great Barrier Reef. The new research was led by Associate Professor Adam Smith of James Cook University.

Recreational divers found the reef while swimming off the coast of Goulbody Island, a member of Queensland’s Palm Island group. The coral, a happy assemblage of small marine animals and calcium carbonate, is located in a protected area that rarely receives any visitors. The traditional owners of this area, the Manbara people, were consulted by researchers, and chose to name the coral Sin Muga, which translates to “big coral reef”.

Hanging tape measure around the giant coral.

Hanging tape measure around the giant coral.
picture: Woody Spark

Smith and colleagues searched the available literature and talked to other scientists to gain a better understanding of corals and how they compare to others. The natural structure belongs to Burrites Genus – a group of coral reefs known for their gigantic size. These corals can be found in Japan, Taiwan and American Samoa, the latter region being home to so enormous Burrites The colony is 26.3 feet (8 m) high and its widest point is 73.5 feet (22.4 m).

It is often brown and cream in color. Burrites Coral consists of small stone-like polyps, which “seed layers of calcium carbonate under their bodies as they grow, forming the foundations on which corals are built,” said Smith, along with co-authors Nathan Cook, marine scientist from Cook University, and Vicki Saylor. , a traditional owner in Manbara and with indigenous knowledge, wrote in Article – Commodity ready for conversation.

Roughly 70% of the hull is live coral, while the remaining 30% is made up of boring green sponges, grass algae, and green algae, according to the study. Live corals can die from exposure to sunlight at low tide or warm water, and dead corals can be rapidly colonized by rapidly growing organisms, as with Sin Muga,” the authors wrote in the conversation.

somewhere between 421 and 438 years old, Sin Muga Old as well as being great. The age estimate was derived by calculating coral growth rates and annual sea surface temperatures. The oldest known coral in the Great Barrier Reef is 436 years old Sin Muga There is a right with him in terms of age. As the authors point out, Sin Muga A survivor, he has withstood over 80 major hurricanes over the years. This powerful coral managed to stay safe from Invasive species, coral bleaching episodes (scientists find no evidence of bleaching), tides, and human activities—at least for now.

Sin Muga It appears healthy, but human-caused climate change, poor water quality, and other factors threaten this coral and the Great Barrier Reef in general. Scientists ask rradioactivewners and others to monitor the reef in the hope that it will continue to thrive for many more generations.

more: A strangely long coral reef has been found off the coast of Australia.



Source link

Powered by BeaconSites