Gangs offer help as death toll in Haiti earthquake passes 2,200 | earthquake news


Last week’s earthquake injured more than 12,000 people and destroyed more than 52,000 homes.

The death toll from last week’s 7.2-magnitude earthquake in Haiti has risen to 2,207, with 344 people missing, according to the country’s civil defense agency.

The death toll is rising as relief operations expand, and authorities struggle with security at distribution points. Gangs hijacked relief trucks and even ambulances, forcing aid workers to transport supplies by helicopter.

Recovery efforts have also been hampered by flooding and damage to roads leading to tensions, adding to tensions in some of the hardest-hit areas. In some places, desperate crowds battled over bags of food.

On Sunday, one of the capital’s most notorious gangsters announced in a video on social media that his allied gangs had reached a truce and would help with relief efforts. If this proves true, it could allow relief efforts to be accelerated.

Jimmy Scherezer, nicknamed “The Barbecue,” the leader of the revolutionary forces G9, addressed a Facebook video to the hardest-hit areas of the southwestern Haiti Peninsula.

“We want to tell them that the revolutionary forces of the Group of Nine and their allies, all for one and one for all, sympathize with their pain and sorrow,” said Chreiser. “The revolutionary forces G9 and their allies… will participate in the relief by providing them with assistance. We call on all citizens to show solidarity with the victims by trying to share a little with them.”

The increase in the death toll is the first since Wednesday evening, when the government put the number at 2,189. On Sunday, the government said 344 people were still missing, 12,268 were injured, and the quake destroyed nearly 53,000 homes.

The collapse of churches in some of the worst-hit towns and villages in the impoverished Caribbean nation has left residents mourning in open fields.

Meanwhile, in the hard-hit city of Les Caye, some attended an outdoor mass on Sunday because holy sites were badly damaged by the quake, whose epicenter was in the impoverished country’s southwestern peninsula.

About 200 early worshipers gathered at the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Joseph de Simon on the outskirts of the city for the first Sunday mass since the disaster.

“Everyone was crying today for what they had lost,” said Reverend Mark Oriel Sayle. “And everyone is exhausted because the ground is still shaking,” he added, referring to the near-daily aftershocks that rocked nerves throughout the week.

Aid delivery and rescue teams are pouring into the country. The aircraft carrier USS Arlington arrived from the United States at the weekend, with doctors, nurses, medical equipment, two helicopters and 200 Marines.

In addition, US aid organization Samaritan’s Purse opened a field hospital in Les Cayes, one of the major cities in the hardest-hit region, and received its first patients.

The German aid organization ISAR Germany also sent a team of 33 doctors, nurses and officials, as well as 11 tons of materials.

The disaster came on the heels of a devastating earthquake in 2010 that killed tens of thousands of people.





Source link

Powered by BeaconSites